Where will you be this Friday 13th during the Full Honey Moon in June? If it wasn’t enough having the a full moon falling on Friday the 13 in June – the month of the summer solstice, how about spending that mystical evening on a Ghost Walk that stops at Honeymoon Bridge?
Friday the 13th in June 2014 coincides with the full moon, aka the “Honey Moon.” How often does Friday the 13th fall on the day of a full moon? Not often… about every 15-20 years. The next one won’t be until 2035 according to the US Naval Observatory.
But the June full moon is a rare moon because it’s the closest full moon to the Summer solstice (June 21st) when the moon hangs lowest in the southern sky for us here in the Northern Hemisphere… and it has a lovely amber (honey) color. What an awesome setting for a walk through a haunted town.
A Rare Combination of Mystical Events
How often is there a full moon on Friday the 13th in June? About once every hundred years. The last on was in 1919.
The June full moon is commonly known as the Honey Moon. The name dates back to 1500s in England when hives were ripe for harvesting at the onset of summer and Mead (made from honey) started flowing. It was a time for getting outside, for getting married and going on a “honeymoon” – term also believed to date back to the same time and linked to marriages, parties and Mead made from honey.
That great song … By the Light of the Silvery Moon mentions the Honey Moon:
- Honeymoon, (Honeymoon, Honeymoon),
Keep a-shining in June. (Keep a-shining in June)
Your silvery beams will bring love dreams,
We’ll be cuddling soon,
By the silvery moon.
Full Moon, Friday 13th & Ghostwalk in St. Michaels
The Mystical Trifecta
- Where will you be this Friday 13th during the Full Honey Moon in June? I’ll be leading some guests through the Town of St. Michaels showing them sites where the forgotten dead still haunt St. Mary’s square and the brawls and battles at Hell’s Crossing can still be heard. How strange that I randomly scheduled the St Michaels Ghost Walk for this date ….. a walk where “Honeymoon Bridge” is one of the stops?
- Honeymoon Bridge, a footbridge connecting Navy Point with the town near Cherry Street is a common site for lovers and wedding couples. It may have been featured in the movie First Kiss with Gary Cooper and Fay Wray that was filmed in the town in 1928. Whether or not it appeared in the film, it’s associated with it and the movie stars who have come to St. Michaels and had their picture taken on the Bridge.
- I hope you’ll join us for a ghost walk sometime. Though all three Friday 13th ghost walks for St. Michaels have sold out, we do ghost walks in 12 towns on the Eastern Shore and every week there’s at least two going on (four in the summer).
- You may hear about the crazy cat lady that haunts a house in Cambridge or the Colonel who haunts the Talbot County Courthouse or the executed prisoner who still terrorizing people in the Denton jail or a mistress still pacing in her mansion or a seafood baron still hanging around his old house or the child in the Atlantic Hotel or the lady who leaves the scent of her perfume around and old carousel.
- But for today I hope you can get outside tonight and enjoy a nice evening walk under a full moon … on Friday the 13th.